Have you considered getting off the treadmill and running outside?. My favourite Bible passage relating to running is Hebrews 12:1-3 “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”
Benefits of Running
There are a number of benefits of running. Here are a few:
- potential weight loss
- slow the effects of aging
- improved cardiovascular and respiratory health
- improved cardiovascular fitness,
- reduced total blood cholesterol
- strengthening of bones (and potentially increased bone density)
- possible strengthening of the immune system
- improved self esteem and emotional state
- enjoyment of nature and scenery
You may wish to consider finding a running partner or entering a 5 km or 10 km road race to keep yourself motivated to run.
To provide your comments and feedback on this article, please contact David Spencer.